Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Securities Act of 1933 "A STUDY OF THE ECONOMIC AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF THE PROPOSED FEDERAL SECURITIES ACT" - US Dep't of Commerce

 It's been too long since I've posted anything. Right now, I'm working on a legislative history of the 1933 Securities Act, and how "disclosure philosophy" came to drive securities regulation on a federal level. Since the only other substantive post I've put up here is a hard-to-find document that I see as important to how we now conceive securities law, I'm going to continue that tradition, and post something that took me a little effort to find, and which I found with the help of a librarian, Paul Friedman, of the New York Public Library's General Research desk. Always thank your librarian. I will also include here a mention of the New York Public Library's Marli program, which is an indispensable resource to scholars living in New York who aren't part of a university in New York (or even who are). They will let you take research resources out of the research libraries, a privilege which they don't extend to everyone. 

The document I was looking for, titled "A STUDY OF THE ECONOMIC AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF THE PROPOSED FEDERAL SECURITIES ACT", was not a law review, as I had thought, but an appendix to the Securities Act Congressional hearings, and was a study by the Commerce Department. The study is exciting for my research because it contains valuable statistics and discussions from the time the Securities Act was being drafted, and lays out the thinking of the authors of the bill. 

I'm still reading and taking notes, but I'm going to share the text below, for those interested. The text is OCR'd, so there are errors in the text, but if you're interested, ask me, and I can send you the PDFs. 

I'm putting the text in my pages because it's too long for a blog post. I'm still working out the kinks of research blogging. 


Text page: https://transatlanticlaw.blogspot.com/p/a-study-of-economic-and-legal-aspects.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Timeline of EU Securities Regulation--Key Dates

 alt text: Label   Treaty of Rome EEC 1/1/58 Segré Report-The Development of a European Capital Market 1966 Entry into force of the TEU 11/1...